Beautifully Yours, Peony
Marco Polo once called me “Roses, as big as cabbages”.
[The Lush Pink Peony]
10 Things Up, Close and Personal with me:
- I’ve lived since a long time ago, dated back to at least 1000 B.C. Revered since ancient times, there are numerous legends associated with me. One claimed that I got my name from a Greek mythology - Paeon, who is a physician to the gods.
- There are two main types of me – the herbaceous peonies, perennials that grow from tuberous roots, and tree peonies, which are deciduous shrubs.
- I come alive in late spring to early summer and wither when winter comes. During my life time, I can grow quite large in size, up to 10 inches!
- Elegant and poise, I dress in lush sweet fragrant ruffles of deep burgundy, pink, white and yellow. In fact, I like most colours except blue.
- I am a native to Asia but travelled to Europe and The Americas in the 19th Century.
- Together with my other flower friend, the plum blossom, I am a national floral symbol of China. My Chinese name is 牡丹 (mǔdān). I’m found to be the finest throughout China in Louyang, known also as the Peony Capital. There is an annual Louyang Peony Festival to celebrate my beauty and I’d love to have you join me!
- I am a prominent theme in Chinese and Japanese art, ranging from paintings to literatures and adorn porcelains. European artists like Vincent van Gogh, also sought to capture me on canvas.
- Weddings are my favourite event because I’m all about romance and prosperity. I am reputed for bringing good fortune and a happy marriage. In the Western world, I am the 12th Wedding Anniversary flower. So for those of you celebrating your 12th year being married, remember to include me!
- My flower buds produce a nectar that attracts ants, which climb up and help to open the buds in order to get to the nectar contained within. Although I can bloom without ants, but these insects do help with my blooming process and keep other damaging insects at bay.
- Do you know that besides beauty, I also possess medicinal qualities? I can enhance the human nervous system of the brain, increase memory power, lower cholesterol and help proper liver function.
I have a vase life about 5 days. Just like my other flower friends, remember to trim my stalk and change water every 2-3 days, keep me away from direct sunlight and fruits. I look forward to beautifying your space with my presence!
[An elegant beauty simply in a vase]
Let me end with a quote by Jim Carrey, “Flowers don’t worry about how they’re going to bloom. They just open up and turn toward the light and that makes them beautiful.”
So my dear Bloomsters, look up, turn your face upon the sun and follow where the ray of light falls. They are the most pleasant grounds to gaze upon.
Think beautiful thoughts always!
Make someone's day
Send the perfect gift